White teeth are extremely important as the first thing that people see is your smile and having yellow teeth leaves a bad impression. Your teeth get yellow naturally with time due to various factors, some of them are listed below:
- Smoking: One of the major reasons why your teeth turn yellow is due to smoking, the nicotine leaves a yellowish stain on your teeth which lasts for a long time.
- Bruxism: It is the process of excessive tooth grinding, which is extremely common in children. Excessive tooth grinding makes the enamel weak, which makes it crack and look yellow.
- Age: The teeth become changes its color with age and becomes yellow because it is being constantly exposed to acid from food and drinks for a long period of time which causes the enamel to thin.
- Genetics: Very often, the color of the teeth runs in the family. So, if a parent has yellow color teeth, chances are that the offsprings also might end up with yellow teeth.
- Food: There are various types of food and drinks which makes the teeth look yellow, some of the food like tomatoes, berries, tea, and coffee. All these food contains pigments that cling to the tooth enamel and stain the surface of the teeth.
It is very common that people take medical assistance for whitening their teeth, but it is not always healthy and pocket-friendly. On the other hand, home remedies will do no harm to your health and will be a comparatively cheaper option. Let’s see a few home remedies for teeth whitening.
Oiling your teeth that is, stirring oil around your mouth to remove the bacteria that causes yellow teeth. It also helps in removing the toxins from your mouth. Take 1 tbsp of coconut oil and swish it in your mouth for 15-20 minutes and spit it off.
Brushing your teeth with baking soda will help in whitening your teeth as it has natural whitening properties, and it creates an alkaline environment in your mouth, which prevents the growth of bacteria.
- Take 1 tbsp of baking soda
- Take 2 tbsp of water
- Mix them
- Brush your teeth with this regularly.
Apple Cider Vinegar
- It has various anti-bacterial properties which help to remove the bacteria causing yellowness from the teeth. The acetic acid present in the ACV kills the bacteria instantly. The vinegar also causes the bleaching of the teeth and acts as a disinfectant.
- Mix ACV with water to dilute it and swish it all around your mouth for 5 minutes, and do it regularly.
Brushing and Flossing
Brushing and Flossing your teeth regularly will not allow the bacteria to build up with age, it will also avoid plaque to build with time. Brushing removes the yellowness of the teeth and flossing keeps your teeth white.
Fruits and Vegetables
There are certain fruits and vegetables which upon brushing your teeth with them will give white teeth. Two of the main fruits are strawberries and pineapples. The malic acid found in strawberries and the bromelain in the pineapple helps in removing the tooth stains which makes your teeth white.