Get To Know The Major Signs Of Liver Disease.
The human body is a complex machine runs on biochemical reactions that complement each other and run in sync for effective functioning. In this mechanism, the liver plays an essential part. The liver performs functions like detoxifying the food you consume. It also performs multiple functions like breaking down of the diet you consume into various consumable compounds. Apart from these, the liver also performs the function of a storage unit, being the largest internal organ.
The liver also takes part in the conversion of ammonia and thus plays a role in speeding up the metabolism as well. This organ acts as a gland as it produces chemicals that are essential for other organs as well. Your liver stores glycogen molecules, vitamins and other nutrients in it. It plays a role in the regulation of vitamins like vitamin A, vitamin D and vitamin K. thus, also playing a role in the functions concerning these vitamins.
Liver diseases and its causes:
When the cells in the liver are damaged due to some reason, it hinders the functioning of this organ. This might lead to liver diseases. These diseases are caused by certain factors. Some of them are mentioned below:
Sometimes, the intake of certain medicines can cause liver diseases as a side effect. In this, the liver cells are irritated and might cause inflammation. Common medications that lead to liver inflammation are:
- Acetaminophen, commonly known as painkillers.
- Statins- medication for keeping cholesterol levels in check.
Certain food items cause liver inflammation as well. They include poisonous mushrooms, alcoholic beverages, fungi, and certain preservatives.
Apart from the above reasons, it can also be hereditary in nature.
Signs of liver disease:
- Gynecomastia: in this condition, men develop enlarged breast tissue. Also, it might lead to impotence.
- Ascites: in the final stage, fluids can accumulate in the abdominal region. It can be painful and very uncomfortable.
- Encephalopathy: this condition occurs when your liver is incapable of disposing ammonia from your system. Thus, causing confusion. It is also called brain dysfunction.
- Fatigue: as the liver is unable to synthesize proteins in this state, a lot of muscle power is wasted. Thus, it makes you really tired and weary.
- Inflammation: the burning can be a result of hepatitis, in addition to the pain in your right abdominal region.
- Jaundice: you might suffer from jaundice as your liver falls short to get rid of the bilirubin your body produces. High levels of bilirubin in your body lead to a yellowish hue to form on your skin, eyes, lips and other organs.
- Excessive bleeding: as your body is inadequate to form blood clots when your liver is damaged, you become more susceptible to excessive bleeding and also bruising. This might lead to blood loss.
Thus, when you suffer from liver diseases, it might disrupt other body functions and can prove severely damaging. To get to the roots of this, a blood test is recommended. Only with the detection of liver enzymes in an above than average quantity, you can be sure of the cause of liver disease.