Natural Remedies For Beard Dandruff
With great power comes great responsibilities and with a power statement beard like that, it is a given to have some responsibility towards it. What I am talking about is beard dandruff. This is a common problem with people who maintain a lavish beard and impress their partners.
Beard dandruff can occur due to two main reasons:
- Dry Skin: This can happen to any part of your skin that is not cleaned properly and the skin is not receiving enough moisture. This causes the skin under your beard to look white, feel dry and become flaky. Once the skin becomes dry and starts producing dandruff, it gives way to rashes and other problems that can make your skin itchy and red.
- Fungus Growth: This is also very common as bulky beards are the perfect place for fungi to grow. It is dark, holds moisture and is porous. Malassezia globose is the name of the fungus that is known to grow in beards and can cause itchy and causes inflammation. Obviously, having tiny organisms growing in your beard is reason enough to do something about it.
Methods To Clean Beard Dandruff
There are several methods that have been recommended to get rid of beard dandruff and keep your facial skin hydrated and healthy. Let’s get into it:
- The easiest way to try and get rid of beard dandruff is using the products that are readily available at your own home – anti-dandruff shampoo. Although the shampoo is recommended for use on the scalp, it can do wonders for your facial skin too. Be careful while using it and do not use too much. If your skin is very sensitive try opting for an Ayurvedic or an herbal concoction for your facial skin.
- Another method to use is simply brushing and combing your beard occasionally. It helps the air to reach the beard and exfoliates it. Remember to always comb your beard when it is wet and always comb it downwards.
- Another home ready solution to beard dandruff is a simple moisturizing cream. You can combat the dryness in the skin by using a moisturizer and applying it thoroughly so that it reaches the skin better.
- Use a beard oil. This method may seem like an expensive one but you can actually make your own beard oil. All you have to do is chose an essential oil that suits your skin type, add it to a carrier oil like a jojoba oil or argan oil. Thoroughly mix these two and you have your beard oil ready. Apply a dime-sized drop carefully in your beard, let it sit for a few hours before washing it.
- The final recommended method is exfoliating your skin. Sugar scrubs and exfoliants are all great options for your facial skin. They are quick and easy to maintain. If you want something more natural, a recipe for a facial exfoliant is given below.
Lemon and Sugar Face Scrub
- Juice from half a lemon
- Half a cup of sugar
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon organic honey
Whisk together the lemon juice, honey, and olive oil. Once you are happy with the consistency to add the sugar slowly and keep whisking until all the granules are coated with the solution. Apply it all over your face gently in clockwise rotating motion and let it sit for a few minutes. Wash it off with warm water and the end it with a splash of cold water.
If after trying these methods you are still experiencing beard dandruff go to your dermatologist.
This is how you can get rid of beard dandruff easily at home.