What Is Keto Diarrhea?
Ketogenesis leads to a lot of changes in your body, some of it is emotional, some directly hits the gut or the gastrointestinal system. Your body when in keto, cuts out some food groups. Anytime you cut out certain food groups that your body is used to, it will lead to an imbalance. This certain imbalance is in your GI system.
It can either lead to constipation, which means that passing stool gets difficult and on the other hand there is keto diarrhea which is passing of stool too often in a very liquid state, which is what we will be discussing today on this post.
What Leads To Keto Diarrhea?
When your body transitions to the state of ketosis, there is an imbalance because your body is used to using carbohydrates as a source of energy and now there are no carbs left. Instead, it resorts to what is available, that is fats and proteins and refined sugars. In this transitioning, your body undergoes a phase called mental fog or brain fog.
This affects people in different ways. Some people end up getting the keto flu which has flu-like symptoms, including nausea and fevers. There are also people who get affected mentally, like irritability and mood swings. Some others get very common keto headaches. And the one that seems to be the most troublesome is the gut health problem, which is keto diarrhea.
What Are The Symptoms Of Keto Diarrhea?
The symptoms of someone who has keto diarrhea include
- Frequent passing of stool
- Inconsistency in the stool
- People also get a Bad breath
- Indigestion is a major problem that is a symptom that shows that the person must be going through the keto diarrhea
- Acidity is a symptom as well.
- Painful cramping
- Some people may also get the keto flu which can lead to keto diarrhea
How Can You Cure Or Prevent Keto Diarrhea?
Getting keto diarrhea means that your body is in ketosis. It is not uncommon or rare. In fact, almost every person goes through one side effect when starting the keto diet. This passes away in a week.
Your body needs time to adjust when it changes the food groups that you consume. It is undergoing changes like the metabolic gap. Your body gets confused as to what it needs to do when it comes to the digestion process.
But to prevent any unfortunate episode of diarrhea, you can do the following:
- Exercise: Exercising is the best way to keep your body active and your metabolism going. Because exercising is not only for weight loss but having a healthy and active lifestyle also helps in keeping up with your digestion.
- Consume activated charcoal: activated charcoal binds to the toxins and helps them from getting overly absorbed, hence helping control frequent motions.
- Start taking digestive enzymes: after consulting a doctor or a nutritionist, you can start consuming supplements and digestive enzymes which can have hydrochloric acid or lipase. These can help in controlling the motions.
- Keto diarrhea is hard to deal with, yes, but it is certainly something that can be easily cured and prevented with the right steps.