Ingrown toenails are a common condition faced by each and every person at least once in the lifetime. Ingrown toenails occur when the edges or corners of your nail grows into your skin next to your nail. If your toenail is big you are more likely to face this problem.
Causes Of Ingrown Toenails:
It can occur in both men and women. It is most commonly seen in teenagers because it is more likely to occur when a person has sweaty feet. The risk of ingrown toenails in old people is due to thickening of the skin.
Some of the causes of ingrown toenails include:
- Improper cutting of nails.
- Because of improper cutting of nail your nails can grow irregular and curved. This can be one of the reasons that can cause ingrown toenails.
- Footwear which puts lost of pressure on your big toe. Even socks, stockings, y\too tight shoes can cause ingrown toenails.
- Toenail injury, stabbed toenail, dropping something heavy on your toenail which can damage your toenail can be a cause.
- Poor sitting posture.
- Poor foot hygiene.
Symptoms Of Ingrown Toenails:
- Skin next to the nail will become tender, soft and swollen.
- When you put pressure on that finger it causes pain.
- Building up fluid around that finger can be noticeable
- It may cause infection.
- Red, swollen, painful finger.
- Bleeding can be noticed if the finger is infected.
Home Remedies For Ingrown Toenails:
Your ingrown toenails can be treated at home itself.
- Soak your feet into the warm soapy water. Soapy water may help you to reduce the swelling and will help to ease your pain. Do it thrice a day to reduce your pain instantly.
- You can also soak your feet in the soapy salt water. Salt will help you to get relief from the pain.
- Apple cider vinegar is a folk remedy used for almost everything. It’s anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and pain relieving properties will help your feet to get relief from pain and infections.
- If your toenail is infected keep it covered. Tuck a cotton ball or waxed dental floss under the edge of an ingrown toenail.
- Apply any kind of essential oils such as tea tree oil, argan oil, coconut oil, olive oil directly on your fingertip and to the ingrown nail.
- Crush fresh garlic cloves and apply it on and around the nail and infected part. After applying to cover it with a bandage and leave it overnight. Repeat this process daily once before your bedtime.
Preventions For Ingrown Toenails:
- These are some of the tips and preventions which you can consider if you want to avoid ingrown toenails.
- Do not cut your nails in a curved shape to match the front of your toe.
- Trim your nails properly straight across
- Keep your foot clean
- Keep your toenails trimmed and in a moderate length.
- Wear shoes which fits your feet properly.
If your infection is getting worse by increased redness and swelling, throbbing pain, pus, foul odor, warmth in an affected toe and it’s surrounding area please do consult a doctor and treat the infection immediately it can cause more infection if it is left unnoticed.